Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Finished Product - Indiana Regionals Team

While I didn't have a great result (5-3 55th), I'm posting this anyway since it's one of the best teams I've run in this format, maybe the most enjoyable of any of them in either of the last two years for me.




The team kept the desirable components of the team I used in Arizona (Tyranitar / Salamence / Aeigslash / Amoonguss) but replaced the things I really wasn't sure about or really didn't like (Excadrill and Rotom-W). I freed up the Scarf, so I put it on Tyranitar, and I knew I wanted to run Porygon2 after Aaron (Cybertron) had run it and was pretty content with it at Arizona. It did what I wanted that slot to by giving my team an option to slow the tempo and play defensively versus certain teams. The last slot was tricky, as nothing conventional seemed to be ideal. I nearly ran Excadrill there even after telling myself Assault Vest Azumarill was the best option after the PC the night before (in which I ran Sitrus Rotom-W in that slot) but walking out the door of the hotel room to go register I decided to finally just go with my gut. It's something I've been known to bow out of doing and I stuck to it this time and I'm glad I did, it was an awesome addition to the team and I think it completed what I wanted to get out of with this team.

The tournament actually felt alright team-wise and play-wise. My losses weren't really that ridiculous either, all of them traceable to a pretty clear problem: lack of care in EVing Salamence cost me a game round 2, I got unlucky round 4 against a good player that I couldn't afford to get unlucky against, and I got straight up outplayed round 7. I think under normal circumstances I would have made a strong case for top cut, but I didn't really put a lot of priority into preparing for the tournament. What I'm trying to get across is don't sell this team short because of how my performance was. I'm too occupied with other things to make it work the way it should at an event, but I think it should be looked at closely for future 2015 format tournaments.

Shoutouts to Sam for giving me some confidence in running this by winning the pre-regional PC and for talking with me about it, to Aaron for bouncing ideas around the week before, to Adit for talking with me about the team a couple nights before the regional (and ironically suggesting a team with the same six that I didn't even realize I had the same as until after the event), and to Wolfe for the advice and encouragement before / during the tournament as well as everyone at the event who I had a great time talking with. I'd put pictures up here if I could get stuff on my phone to work but it's not to be tonight.




Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Protect


Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 5 Spe
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

The nature / IVs were all messed up at the event because I didn't try and rebreed for a 5IV Adamant Azu, but this is what I intended to run (underspeeds min speed Aegislash by one point, outspeeds min speed Scrafty by one point.) I didn't do defensive calcs since, again, I didn't have time, but I would suggest putting a bit more thought into the spread if you run this team. Moveset was fine, think I ran the correct four moves on it looking back, never really needed Superpower.


Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Never needed to use Assurance all day, pretty much confirming what I found out at Arizona. I didn't actually use anything but Rock Slide or Superpower most of the day and never used Stone Edge either, so I dunno what exactly to think about it. Might be worth toying with the moves a bit.


Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 204 HP / 148 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

yeah it's an amoonguss


Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 84 SpA / 156 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Kept what worked for me in Arizona. I'd argue that this was the MVP of the team. I don't know why this specific set works so darn well for me on this team and not on any other team I try and use it on but it just does. It singlehandedly won me another two games in Swiss. The spread might be worth looking at, but the moves/item were fine.


Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Toxic
- Recover

Probably the most fun part of the team, Porygon2 forces some opposing teams to party like it's 2013 again and I'm all for that. It slows the game down and lets more plays happen. Analytic was the right choice probably, Download wasn't something I really wanted at any juncture and I got the 1.3x boost on almost every move I used due to how the team worked. The set was perfect, wouldn't change a thing about it, although the "eh yeah, max SpDef sounds good" when EVing it was probably something I would change if I went back and used it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment